Should America Have a Strong Dollar?
I believe America should have a strong dollar. A strong dollar will benefit the tourism world for Americans. When I was in Japan, the value of the dollar fluctuated. When we first arrived there, the exchange rate was 110 yen to the dollar, so we were getting a bit more bang for our buck. By the time our tour ended, the exchange rate was down to 80 yen to the dollar, so we had to shell out more money to make purchases. It did not effect us too much when the exchange rate dropped, but there were some families with a single income that had to adjust their monthly spending and limit the places they can go.
Having a strong dollar can help Americans and benefit the country they are visiting economically. When the exchange rate was up, my husband and I were more prone to shopping and buying knick knacks and souvenirs we didn't need, thus pumping more money into that country’s economy. When the dollar value dropped, we stayed home most of the time and found other things to do, such as playing video games or watching movies. We also made home cooked meals more often too. When I visited the Philippines, I was amazed by how strongly the dollar stood against their currency, the peso. It felt like we were the upper class. Everything was incredibly cheap, so we bought some souvenirs pretty much everywhere we went. We were also able to afford a grand meal for all of my relatives without hurting our wallets. My mom was also able to give my cousin a really nice wedding, since he could not afford one for all the guests he wanted to invite. We would not have been able to afford having a great and memorable vacation with a weak dollar.
No comments:
Post a Comment